These are tough times for physicians. Whether it’s the EMR or the emphasis on productivity, many physicians are finding that expectations are increasingly unrealistic. We are in an era of heightened scrutiny and accountability but the metrics being used don’t always account for all that we do. Control over our practice environments is decreasing and our roles are increasingly defined by non-physicians. Given that so much gets in the way of simply doing our best for patients, it’s no surprise that levels of burnout are high.
Physician coaching helps you find calm in the storm. In a highly individualized manner, I help you close the gap between where you are and where you want to be. The International Coach Federation defines coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.” The focus is on results and change. Coaching with me builds motivation, helps you see new options to meet the challenges you face, and establishes the accountability you need to effect change. I use techniques that make coaching an enjoyable and energizing process.
By phone, Skype, or in-person, you will:
- learn how to stay afloat despite increasing external demands
- build leadership skills
- improve efficiency and productivity
- improve your ability to manage conflict
- heighten your empathy for patients and improve your Press Ganey scores
- increase calm
- regain your sense of purpose
- find more meaning and satisfaction
- develop a healthy sense of control over your life
- in a completely confidential setting, have a physician coach who will be your non-judgmental ally and champion
You don’t have to leave the workforce to find the satisfaction and balance you seek. Contact me today to learn more.
Take this quick, simple test to see if you could benefit from Physician Coaching. Score one point for each statement that is true for you:
- I am expert in caring for my patients but don’t seem to have the skills needed to care for myself.
- There will never be enough time to do the things that truly matter to me.
- It often feels like the sense of purpose I had when I entered medical school has been beaten out of me.
- I believe that I am an imposter.
- The stresses of work interfere with my personal relationships.
- I often feel overwhelmed by the demands on my time.
- Other people believe that I am successful but I don’t see it that way.
- I’d like to better understand the challenges that get in the way of my personal and professional achievement and move past them.
- I would benefit from working with my own champion, sounding board, and accountability partner to help me take clear and compelling action towards my goals.
- I want to be happier now – and not wait until I retire!
- 0-3: could benefit from coaching
- 4-6: could strongly benefit from coaching
- 7-10: let’s stop counting…
If you scored 4 or higher, you could greatly benefit from working with a physician coach. Please consider engaging my services or those of another physician coach. If the “fit” is right with me, we will partner to identify, affirm, and build on your strengths to help you live a more fulfilled life NOW .
Professional, career, and leadership coaching have a well-recognized presence in the business world and are moving into the healthcare arena. Creation of the Institute of Coaching at McLean Hospital, a Harvard Medical School Affiliate AND Dr. Atul Gawande’s 2011 New Yorker article about coaching for physicians are emblematic of this trend.